ECP Heart Care Instructions
ECP Heart Care
The following Patient Instructions are not a substitute for medical guidance. Follow all directions provided by your physician or staff.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment. Use the restroom and change into your treatment attire.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything for 90 minutes before your scheduled appointment, with the exception of water needed to take medications.
- DO NOT take diuretics (water pills) prior to your morning treatment. Bring them with you to take after treatment. If you have an afternoon treatment, take your diuretic in the early morning as usual.
- DO take all other prescribed medications as indicated.
- Bring a current list of all medications, including dosages and times.
- Wear or bring a loose-fitting shirt that buttons up the front. DO NOT wear a shirt with a tight or high neckline for treatment.
- Treatment pants will be provided. Men should wear briefs, not boxers. Women shouldwear form-fitting underwear. Wear or bring ankle socks to keep feet warm.
- Diabetics, those with fragile skin, and/or patients prone to bruising should wear support pantyhose under the treatment pants.
- Examine your skin daily and report any signs of irritation to the technician.
- Keep track of your angina episodes between treatments and be prepared to provide details to the technician to help assess your progress.
- You may bring a Walkman or music to enjoy while having treatments. Check with the staff to determine what type of player is available. If you like, you may watch TV or videos if available.
- It is important to complete seven consecutive weeks of therapy for best results. Try to avoid any interruption during that time period.
- A relative or friend may stay with you during the entire treatment.
- Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses of clear liquids daily after receiving each treatment. Patients on fluid restriction should check with their physician.
Information courtesy of ACS